Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Football, Family...and Paleo Chili!

I grew up watching football, 49er football! I have fond memories of good food, football and family. So, when the 49ers made it to the playoffs, I knew I wanted to make some Paleo deliciousness to share with our family. In the past I have used ground beef in my chili. I used a beef chuck roast this time, and everyone loved it.

I cooked the beef roast the night before in the crock pot with beef broth, some garlic cloves and onion. The next day, I cut the meat into chunks and strained the fluid but set some of it aside to add to the chili later. I don't always follow recipes when I cook, this is an example of one of those meals. I kind of just threw what I had on hand into the crock pot...

Here's what got thrown in:

3 lbs Beef Chuck Roast
1 container beef broth
1 onion diced
4 bell peppers (2 green, 1 yellow, 1 red)
1 cup diecd celery
3-4 cloves minced garlic
2 cans of died tomatoes with green chiles
2-3 cups of beef broth
2-3 Tbsp. Chili powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Pinch of sea salt


I added some of the reserved fluid from the crock pot - approx 1 cup

Once I combined everything, I set the crock pot on low for about 6 hours. I wasn't too sure about the "shredded beef" in the chili but it turned out great and there were no leftovers! Two thumbs up! You can tailor this recipe to make it less spicy, more spicy...whatever you like.

While the chili was spicy and delicious, the chili was not lucky chili...the 49ers lost. BUT, for the first time ever, my Raider fan husband wore 49er attire. Priceless :)

No comments:

Post a Comment