Sunday, February 5, 2012

"Somewhat" Paleo Pizza & Muffins!



It's Super Bowl Sunday! We are spending the day relaxing at home, just the 3 of us. On the menu: Pizza! I told Tim I would call it PATRIOT Pizza...even though we really don't care who wins...
Pizza is one of those foods that I really missed once going gluten free. I discovered a pizza crust recipe from Everyday Paleo and loved it. I alter it a little each time I make this recipe. The not-so-paleo toppings I included in this version were pepperoni & skim mozarella.

Crust:
2 cups almond flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp. garlic powder
4 freshly chopped green onion
3 eggs
1 tbsp fresh rosemary

Combine above ingredients in a bowl and press as flat and as thin as possible on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350* for 12-15 minutes.

After taking the crust out, add your toppings. This time I added:

1 cup marinara sauce (I used Trader Joes Classic Marinara Sauce)
1/2 package pepperoni (not paleo)
1 cup mozarella cheese (not paleo)
2 cups Diced mini peppers
4 handfulls of fresh spinach (this cooks down quite a bit so I like to add alot
1 cup died broccoli florets

Bake at 350* for another 20 minutes. Enjoy!

I altered this recipe too! Started with Morning Glory Muffins from my Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook. Marin especially loves the muffins when they are in fun muffin papers. My family lovingly calls my first Paleo Muffin recipe "Dora Muffins" because Marin was really into Dora the Explorer....thus, the muffin papers I used. Well...with Valentine's Day coming up, I thought she would enjoy the heart muffin papers.

2 1/2 cups almond flour
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup shredded carrott
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 large apple shredded
1 cup shredded un-sweetened coconut
1 cup raisins
3 eggs
2 Tbsp honey
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla

Combine dry ingredients. Add carrot, zucchini, apple, coconut, and raisins. In separate bowl whisk together the eggs, honey oil and vanilla. Spoon into muffin pan and bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes.  Makes 12 muffins.

I like to double the muffin recipe for our house. They are practically eaten daily! (And Marin always seems to sneak one as it's cooling on the counter). I like to freeze half the batch.

You can add banana, cranberries, blueberries, flax seed, nuts, etc etc...I like to play with this recipe everytime I try it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment